Wednesday, February 11, 2015

January, etc.

I was going to start this post with the phrase where did January go? and then I looked at my calendar and realized it's nearly halfway into February, so .... scratch that.

January was rough. My parents were taking turns bouncing in and out of the hospital (everyone is home now!) and I was juggling work and family and just general life maintenance, which sounds efficient, if tiring, but actually means that I feel stressed when I'm with my parents instead of at work, guilty when I'm at work instead of with my parents, and nothing in our apartment has been properly cleaned in so long that I'm starting to view it as a lifestyle choice.

Needless to say, there has not been a lot of picture taking.

Random updates:

Circe continues to behave oddly when she's left at home during the day, despite enjoying her adventures with her dog walker.* We finally gave up on trying to prevent her from jumping on our credenza and instead just focused on teaching her how to jump off of it. Success? I feel 50% less guilty now that I don't have to worry about her stranding herself without food or water for hours on end. She still opts to spend most of her day scratching up our credenza.

We're contemplating another move, mostly so that Circe either has some outdoor space or is close enough to one of our offices that we can slip out and walk her at lunch. Also to try to reduce my commute, which has slowly been draining the life out of me. Apartment hunting is just as discouraging as it was a year ago, I'm sorry to report. I gnash my teeth and look at our budget and try to figure out how to quantify "quality of life" amenities. Let me tell you, this time I am not going to opt for an apartment building that doesn't have a washer and dryer somewhere on the premises. The privilege of being able to throw a load of laundry in while you make dinner on a random Tuesday night cannot be overstated. We've only been in our current place for a little over a year and part of me hates to leave because it's cute and we've put a lot of work into it, but it just isn't working for us now. There's no point in living in a great neighborhood if you're exhausted by the time you get home and then you just have to go sit in the laundromat anyways.

I did a two week gluten/sugar/dairy free thing to try to get rid of the insane sugar cravings I was having after seriously overdoing it during the holidays. Don't worry - there was no juice involved! I'm not that crazy. I don't normally eat much sugar on a day to day basis, but if I get into a bad cycle it's bad. I think the two weeks off helped, but then again, I did eat a giant slice of pie last night, so who knows? I think I'm just going to blame January for this situation (mental note - it's February now, get it straight).

We purchased pricey yoga memberships back in November, when we were on a high following a very successful one-month-unlimited Groupon situation. We were going 3 - 4 times a week! Obviously we could sustain this forever! We should invest in our health! You know how this story goes. I've been to exactly one yoga class in the last two months. So now I get to feel guilty about not working out and guilty about the wasted money. If guilt burned calories and stretched out my lower back, I'd be golden. I will go to at least one yoga class this week even if it kills me.

Super excited that Broad City is back.




*Circe's dog walker leaves us a report card every day describing what they did. Dustin and I both lunge for it the second we walk in the door each evening because it's basically the cutest thing ever. This is actually pretty low key for dog walking services around here. One of the ones I was looking at will actually put a camera on your dog so you can see everything they did on their walk (even as person deeply obsessed with my dog, this sounds like the most boring footage I can imagine). Another one uses a little GPS device so you can check on your computer and see exactly where they walk each day. Things are crazy out there, guys.




26 comments:

  1. i am so happy you've updated! and, in turn, so sorry to hear about how stressful january was; i'm so glad everyone's home from the hospital now and you (hopefully) get a chance to breathe. moving is the worst, and my heart goes out to you on having to do it again so soon. i will devote great quantities of my freelance energy to sending you ideal-HQ-finding vibes. (ideal-work-finding, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! And now I'm gun-shy, because it's obvious we didn't make the smartest apartment decision last time, so I don't trust us to do it right this time. I tend to hunt for two weeks and then get frantic and just want to rent the first thing that looks like it might possibly be decent.

      Delete
  2. This is my first time commenting, but I've been reading your blog for a while now. I can definitely relate to the dog issues you have with Circe. I have a highly anxious dog with separation anxiety issues and she use to destroy our apartment whenever we left her alone. It took a lot of money, personal dog trainers and vet visits to start her on meds to finally get her to a place where we can finally leave her at home in peace. I have my fingers crossed for you guys and will send happy apartment hunting thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry - that sounds heart breaking and expensive! We're lucky that Circe doesn't destroy things (consciously - obviously her scrambling around on our credenza has had some collateral damage) but she just can't seem to adjust! I'm so grateful that I'm not the last one to leave in the morning most of the time because hearing her crying frantically through the door rips my heart out. We're still figuring out what to try to make it as easy as possible for her, and I ended up adjusting my schedule so that I don't have to leave her alone for very long on Mondays and Fridays. We're total suckers.

      Delete
  3. I (obviously) don't know your financial situation or where you work, but the Valley is truly the best bang for your buck -- especially Valley Village/NoHo Arts District, where you can get an affordable two bedroom (!) -- or at least, affordable for LA. But seriously, $1200 for a two bedroom that is spacious and has hardwood floors and laundry and parking (PARKING?!?!) -- it's a steal compared to the pricier neighborhoods, in my humble opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $1200 for a two bedroom sounds unbelievable! I haven't paid that little in rent since we first moved to LA nearly a decade ago (and it wasn't a two bedroom, even then).

      I would totally consider moving across except I'm terrified we'll never see any of our friends again during the week, given LA traffic (also, terrified of what it might do to our commutes). But we might break down. Everyone I know who lives there loves it.

      Delete
  4. As someone who moves at LEAST every year right now I can relate to the struggles of apartment hunting. It's never fun. I'm currently in London and facing a move back to the US in July, and then another move the next year, probably to LA. Even the idea of shipping and packing and visiting apartments gives me hives. But it will be worth it when you find a place that works for you and Circe especially. I don't have any sage wisdom but just know that you are not alone, and keep plugging away! Best of luck to you guys xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! How do you handle it?! I'm so averse to moving because it's such a hassle. Good luck with your big move! And email me if you need LA moving tips if you end up stateside next year!

      Delete
  5. Happy you're back I check every morning :)

    As a single mom with five kids who works full time I understand how the stress and drama of life can wear you down. I work out only 39 min 5 days on 1 off and I know I could do more but I tell myself that's enough. I see it as a little breather from my life and that has made such a difference. Maybe if you could see a Saturday morning yoga class as a bit of an escape for yourself to clear your mind that would help you. Hang in there! I hate going but always feel better after :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww ... thanks! And, hon, I don't know how you do it! Five kids! Pretty sure I would never get anything done, let alone work outs. You're amazing!

      Delete
    2. I'm mostly very tired. Haha but yes 30 minutes is what I get each day. I teach preschool too so it's a much needed break from all the daily mayhem. My parents are both gone and I know how that stuff can weigh on your heart but you inspire me :) Keep up the goods on here! Xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Rachel, I've been a long time reader but I don't comment very often. I really enjoy reading your posts. Moving is an absolute nightmare, especially when you've put so much work into your place. Hopefully if you take the plunge, a shorter commute, happy Circe and having a washing machine in your flat (as an Australian, not having this is completely foreign!) will make it worthwhile. I'm just about to finish a cheap intro monthly pass to a yoga studio and considering becoming a member but now I'm scared I won't be able to maintain it!! Sending good luck your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! Don't let my yoga laziness scare you away! There are so many people who are great about getting into a schedule and going. I just knew from past history that D and I tend to get super into new exercise classes for 3 months or so and then we stop being so good about it and start wanting to switch to something else. But I really, really want to stick with yoga because it's the only thing that helps keep my back happy (too much time sitting at a desk and my other exercise of choice is running, which just tends to make my back more sore).

      Delete
  7. So happy to see you back again! Not so happy to read that you have been struggling somewhat. Sending positive thoughts your way x

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always struggled with moving further out for more space, or even just to live in a funner neighborhood but then I'd hit the weird day where my typical 20 minute bus commute from Santa Monica to Mar Vista would take me an hour or more, and I just knew I couldn't do it day in and day out. The fact that you've lasted this long is impressive! Good luck with the apartment hunting, we only had to do it the once (stayed in our last place in MV for 5 years) but it was brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The LA traffic is just brutal. I'm currently 13 miles from my office, which would be no big deal in OC (I did a 17 mile commute for a couple years down there and it almost never took more than 25 minutes to get home). But here it takes forever AND it's unpredictable.

      Delete
  9. I'm really happy you updated! The past month and half has kicked my butt as well. I love to read your posts because even when you are down, you always seem to be able to hold onto the bright side which I personally find inspiring. I usually end up becoming slightly bitter and resentful in the face of adversity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hon! Hope things start to look up for you soon. And trust me, I definitely have bitter and resentful moments that I have to work through!

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry to hear about your parents but very glad that everyone is home safely now. January is a relentless bitch, it's no wonder that you aren't convinced it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. please share of the dog walker's reports. i'm extremely curious about circe's adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally relate on doggy issues and I am happy to report that 7 years into having our anxious little rescue pup, he does great when left at home. We leave him a bone and the run of the house and he is happy. So there is hope for you still! Also, LOVE Broad City and this season is hilarious! The wisdom teeth and Val episodes gave me a real abs workout. Also, love juice cleanses and they're not crazy, they totally work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moving is totally the worst, but it sounds like you might be at the point where it would be worth it. I actually want to stay where I am living, but just found out that the owner might sell! I really hope we don't get ousted because it is a great house for us and also that whole thing about moving being the worst. I can also commiserate on dog problems as I am about to spend what I am sure is going to be an obscene amount of money on aggressive dog training for our adorable corgi. He is so sweet all the time until he sees another dog and then it is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde up in this business! *Sigh* dogs are weird, but they are family.

    PS. I know you already spent the money, but if you can't get out of the house to do yoga I just started this 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene youtube series and let me tell you it is the best. Super casual and aware of all ability levels, and the girl who does it is a bit dorky (in the best possible way) so it is fun. If you are interested, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXU591OYOHA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rachel, I want to add my thanks to those above, and to wish you courage and strength in your difficult times. And as to housework, I heard a wonderful quote from a British comedienne - fuck it, that'll do!!
    I hope the obscenity doesn't bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear about your parents, sending you a virtual bear hug my dear!

    Oh, I remember the days when we were a crazy dog couple, lol. I would have totally wanted a dog cam! Now I'm a crazy baby lady and my one pup just wants to know when we are taking the baby back where we got her from, she has been miserable for 15 months, it breaks my heart, nothing I do makes her happy anymore, I am almost to the point of trying to find her a baby-less home:( Good luck on your apartment search!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending good thoughts your way. I hope your family is holding up and that you are taking care of yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!