Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cornbread (again)

Is it cheating to post the same recipe twice? What if I modify it slightly and make it even easier for you?

DSC_3890

It's just that cornbread makes me so happy, and my clever mom recently created a shortcut version. If you are intimidated by the pastry cutter, this is for you.
Cornbread, simplified (makes one 8x8 square or 12 muffins, originally posted here)

**Mix together:
1 cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup cornmeal

(You can make several batches of this at once, tossing the ingredients into quart sized ziploc bags and then storing them in the freezer to pull out for later use).

**Whisk together:
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

**Blend the wet ingredients into the dry until just mixed and bake in a 400 degree oven until the edges are golden and crisp (about 15 minutes for muffins). Enjoy.
Having some mix on hand makes it possible to have muffins pulled together in a matter of minutes, with no fumbling around for ingredients or measuring spoons.

DSC_3893

Serve them with honey and butter for a sweet treat or modify the recipe to make them savory (stir some grated cheddar cheese and chopped, cooked applewood bacon into them right before baking for a special treat) - I promise you'll like them either way.

P.S. Lovely Amy of Old Sweet Song asked me some questions and my answers are up today!

24 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. Easy-peasy.

    I love a pastry cutter. But some days, it's nice to have a cheaty version. Thanks, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm always game for a simpler version when it comes to cooking and throwing in cheddar cheese and bacon? sounds ridic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't go wrong with cornbread. It's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not cheating and I love cornbread. I add green chile to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cornbread. I have a similar recipe that I add cheddar cheese and jalapenos to. . . so it's spicy|sweet with the addition of honey after cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is great! i love a simplified version, something i can actually make and not mess up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's absolutely not cheating, as I can't get myself to bake unless it's super easy -- which is why my husband loves your blog because you inspire me to bake much more :) I actually like to put in sweet corn kernels directly into the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cornbread muffins makes me happy too, I was just thinking about making them today. I am definitely going to try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's it. i was going to make tacos tonight but now I have to change my plans and find something else to prepare---something that goes with cornbread!

    hmmm...a white chicken chili sounds good. is it wrong that i plan my meals around what kind of baked goodness I want to eat that night?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Applewood Bacon,

    I love you.

    Always,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just printed this out and plan to make this weekend! Any thoughts on whole wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulously yummy pics and blog!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all--love your interview on Old Sweet Song and left wanting to go climb trees! Love the idea of putting all the dry ingredients into Ziploc bags for future corn bread cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. can you come to my house and teach me how to cook such yummy, pretty things!?

    Thanks for all the fresh food inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also love to throw peppers in the muffins like jalapeno or red pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cornbread looks delicious...I haven't eaten it in years but I'll have to try one of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum, these look positively delicious! I haven't had cornbread in such a long time and now I'm craving it! Hmm, maybe with a big helping of black eyed peas and a little dollop of molasses on top?


    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will happily try all the cornbread recipes you can come up with! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmm these look delicious Rachel and I love your photos, they remind me of pictures from a cookery book. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmm... just made these, and they were delicious. For those cooking in a 8x8 pyrex, though, you'll have to keep them in the oven about 10 minutes longer (or at least I did). In the summer, I'd add some fresh corn to the batter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, so I just have to say that this has become my go-to recipe for cornbread! I swear I make it at least once a week.

    Could it BE any yummier? (Said in the voice of Chandler from Friends...)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i made them with spelt flour, soy milk and added about 1tbsp of honey...usually wheat free, dairy free cornbread is mediocre at best, but these are moist and delicious! hoping i don't eat them all before dinner....

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!